We notice that public life is starting to get going again. You can go to the cinema, the terrace is more or less open and the campsites are also accessible again. Many people choose a holiday in the Netherlands; cycling and walking holidays are currently extremely popular. And we understand that!
However, it is not certain whether Friends can go to the host address of their choice. Hosts and hostesses themselves also jump on their bikes in the season or put on their walking shoes. In addition, there is always a lot of interest in small-scale overnight stays, especially in popular places. This particular year, quite a few guest addresses have decided not to receive guests for the time being to rule out any risk of coronavirus infection. Such a decision makes perfect sense.
For Friends, it means that they may be less able to find a guest address. Our tips:
1. Search for available guest addresses on this website. Most guest adresses you find here have opened their doors.
2. Deviate from the mapped (LF) routes and plan your own route with the junction planners of the Fietsersbond or Wandelnet.
3. Stay the night on the less popular days, generally from Monday to Wednesday.
Het Fietsplatform has more tips. For example here. Wandelnet also provides ideas and suggestions.
What remains: use common sense
- Do you have a cold or have a fever?
- Do you belong to a vulnerable group, for whom avoiding social contact is even more important?
You can consider taking a trip via Vrienden op de Fiets if:
- you can stick to the 1.5 meters distance
- the guest address sees an opportunity to take additional hygiene measures
We will continue to evaluate the application of this policy. Keep an eye on this page for updates and new information.
Update May 08, 2020
More will be allowed in the Netherlands in the coming months. The primary schools will open again on May 11 and you can go to the hairdresser again. With a little luck, the public transport will start running again on 1 June and the terraces may go outside. If everything goes well, you can go to the campsite from 1 July. What remains is the 1.5 meter distance.
What does this mean for Vrienden op de Fiets?
We understand that Friends want to go out again. We understand that there are Dutch guest addresses that can receive these Friends safely. We also understand that there are guest addresses who don't want to take any chances and keep the door of their own house closed for the time being.
Unfortunately, there is not one advice that applies to everyone. Whether an overnight stay at a guest address of Vrienden op de Fiets is sensible depends entirely on the local and personal circumstances.
Use common sense and ask yourself:
• Do you belong to a vulnerable group, for whom avoiding social contact is even more important?
• Is there separate sanitary facilities on site?
• Does the guest address see an opportunity to take additional hygiene measures?